Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sigh...

I failed the glucose test I took this morning, so now I have to go in again on Monday for a more intense glucose test to see if I actually do have or somehow only feigned having gestational diabetes. Sigh.

It goes like this: to test everyone for gestational diabetes, I had to drink a 10oz super-sweet drink on an empty stomach this morning before having blood drawn an hour later. The levels came back too high, so now I have to do the next step on Monday. The idea is that if you pass today's test, you definitely don't have it, but if you fail, which I did (evidently not by much), they observe the change in you more closely. 

So, Monday will go as such: they draw my blood pre-sweet drink. Then, I have a similar 10oz drink, only with even more sugar, on an empty stomach before having blood drawn the following hour, then again a second hour after that, then lastly the third hour after that. If at any of those times they can determine that I for-sure do not have it, I can go (and eat!) ... otherwise I'm there until about 12:30pm (with nothing in my stomach but that drink since dinner the night before). Me and Pea, hungry we'll be!

Anyway, I was pretty bummed to hear that; not that I even know what sort of effect it could have on Pea yet, but you think you're doing all these things right ... then there's this other thing that just - happens. I don't know for sure if I have this kind of diabetes, and if I end up having it, hopefully we'll be able to minimize any side-effects. That was today.

On an up-note, Nana has definitely had Pea in mind at Walker's book fair, I've been told ;)! Thanks, Nana =)!

1 comment:

  1. awww darling! Sending some prayer for you :) Hope it goes well xx

    ReplyDelete